Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Geocaching we will go...

Cory, our resident adventurer, has introduced us to geocaching.  He very calculatedly (as everything he does is) took the kids out by themselves first.  He made the hiking exciting and the searching for the cache a big, fun treasure hunt.  Of course the girls came home thrilled with their adventure and begging mommy to try geocaching.  There is nothing sweeter than those little faces saying the word 'geocaching'!  So the next day we headed out as a family with 3 sites programmed into the GPS and started our hike at Echo Park.  Because of the flooding this year we had to drive through some water between Standing Buffalo and the Park which proved to be pretty exciting in itself. 

Kenzie and I shared the responsibility of holding the GPS to get us to the correct quadrants..  She is excellent at watching the numbers and making sure they are getting smaller and that we are getting closer.  When we were within 1meter of the cache the real hunt began. When I saw the ice cream pail that was our treasure I race to it and snatched out from under the bench where it was hidden.  As I proudly made eye contact with Cory he disappointingly said "I usually let the kids find it".  I felt a little sheepish but I didn't let that overshadow my pride.  Inside each cache are trinkets and a log book to sign.  The cache etiquette is to write your name in log book and write what you have taken and what you have left behind.  The girls have obtained some bracelets, stones, dog tags and puppy figurine in exchange for little toy dinosaurs and key chains. 

We will definitely go geocaching again, maybe even venture out of our little part of the world.  Although Cory and the kids think it would be find to geocache in Mexico, I may just wait for them by the pool there.

 








Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Looks like Kenzie found a pipe bomb in those last 2 pictures. I want to go geocaching with the girls when they come here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe....I can totally see Cory's "look" as he tells you that he normally lets the kids find the cache. Maybe next time, enjoy your moment Holly!

    ReplyDelete