Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Difficult questions for a mom.

Kids ask questions everyday.  It is just one of the ways that they learn hundreds of things each day.  Of course there is the often grating "Why?" question.  And the "how do babies get in the tummy?" delicate question but neither of those send the tingling, warm sensation of panic through me quite like the "is this left or right, Mommy?" question.

When we are at home it is not big deal.  I just turn my body the exact same way they are standing and then hold out my hand and see where the letter 'L" is.  No problem.  It is when we are in public, like say a busy skating dressing room, and Kenzie says "is this left or right mommy" and I start to sweat and twitch.  I realize that if I had to turn my body to match hers and hold out the letter 'L" it would probably stand for something other than Left.  I usually respond with my motherly tone "what do you think dear".  That way I appear to be fostering critical thinking and independence instead of stalling for time.

I blame this disability on my many years of being a dance instructors' assistant when I was at a young impressionable age.  I spent many hours in front of 3 and 4 year olds saying 'left' with my right foot pointed out and then 'right' with my left out there.  You do this enough and your brain starts to automatically shift to believe what the lips are saying.

This disability of mine proves to be very interesting when I am the map reader in the car.  Cory has learned over the years to tune out my voice and just turn his head away from the busy traffic to SEE which way I am pointing to make the next turn.

And even though I blame this on years of teaching dance, you should ask Cory about the challenges of getting directions from both my mom and I together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment