Saturday, November 20, 2010

To Sleep or Not to Sleep? That is the question...

Before kids (BK) I loved to sleep and I was very good at it.  At exactly 9:55pm every night systems would shut down, I would go brush my teeth and at 10:01 pm I would be fast asleep.   (BK) I worked at the School and started at 8:00am.  That meant I liked to be up by 7:00am to have a healthy breakfast, shower, shave my legs and iron something to wear.  With an early start to my day like that there was no wonder I needed to be sleeping by 10:00pm.  I also used weekends to catch up on my sleep.  I would often wake up on Sunday mornings and go for a walk with Jane and Candice and as soon as Cory left to coach skiing at 1:00pm I would head for a much needed nap!

But now after I've had kids (AK) I don't sleep.  To be honest it is my kids and cat that don't sleep but seem to feel the need to take me along on their sleepless escapades. 

Take last night for example:  I looked at the ceiling and the clock said 11:37pm.  YES, finally to bed a bit early, that will feel good.  1:57am startled awake by a stone cold finger tapping my forehead.  Kenzie just announcing that she has already gone pee.  I mumble "thank you for doing that but as we have discussed many times, you don't need to wake Mommy to tell me you have gone pee.  Now back to bed."  Well that was almost 3 hours in a row, I probably got close to REM sleep.

3:50am I am dreaming I have been in a car accident on Fort San road.  The Honda is flipped and I can't move.  I am Paralyzed. Oh my God, I can't move my legsI can't move my legs!!  No actually Kenzie's bathroom announcement allowed the 30 pound cat in my room and she is laying in her favorite spot across my legs.  I am NOT paralyzed.  I kick the cat, tingling feeling comes back to my feet.

5:30am MOMMY! MOMMY!  Kaida is screaming from downstairs. I come down and open her door.  She bounces out of bed and announces that she has to go PEE, she is STARVING and her tummy is RUMBLING.  I realize that there is no way I am going to convince her to go back to sleep so resign my self to the fact that was the end of that night and I go make a multi fruit salad for her majesty.

When Cory wakes he asks "so how was your night?"  This is a skill he learned a few years back.  It translates into "I had a great sleep and didn't hear anything but can tell by the scary look in your eyes you may have been up once or twice so I will tread lightly."  The sad thing is that my girls are sleeping so much better compared to when Kenzie was 3 and Kaida was a newborn that I confidently say "pretty good."

Is anyone questioning my need to start drinking coffee (AK)!?



2 comments:

  1. I agree that sleep is definitely different now. Hence the reason I am up and reading your blog at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning....also giggling that you have posted at this early hour. This morning started with a little girl making adorable noises from her room at 6:20....and both Ry and I getting up commenting on a great night. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Holly and Christa, but it isn't going to get any better. But enjoy, right now they are not sleeping in your house. Before you know it, at 3:00 am you will be wide awake wondering if their looser boyfriends have rolled the car and they are lying in a ditch screaming your name as they bleed to death...have a great day.

    ReplyDelete