Thursday, November 11, 2010

I'll wear a poppy.

Today is Rememberance Day which is a pretty important day for my family.  It started years ago with my Grandparents going to the Legion after the service and staying to share stories that would get bigger and bigger with every beverage.  I would attend the service occasionally, but if something else was happpening that day I could miss and do my remembering in private.

Then in 2000 my Grampa Dodd was dying and we were spending his last days in the hospital.  We do a lot as a family and this was no different.  We hung out, laughed, teased each other, worried about Gramma, felt sad, cried and laughed some more.  After 3 days of 'being together' my Grampa passed away.  We then went into planning mode and planned a nice service for him on Nov. 4th.  After that many days together the Dodd side of my family had to take a break from each other and we all went back to our own home and lifes for a few days.  It was unspoken but known that we would all meet again a the High School Gym on Nov. 11th.

When I walked into that gym the year my Grampa died I was surprized how caught up in emotion I was.  I was proud of my family and the strength that we share with each other.  I was really missing and mourning my Grampa that day.  I knew I would never miss another Rememberance Day service again.

Since that year my Gramma Dodd has also passed away and although I miss them both every day, November 11th is a day I hold special in my heart to Remember.

I'll tip one to Gramma and Grampa every year!

1 comment:

  1. So true, you have captured the emotion and meaning right on. Good for you, you make me proud.

    ReplyDelete